National

Rice production likely to go up in Jhapa

Rice production this year in Jhapa is expected to increase in comparison to the previous year.

According to the District Agriculture Development Office, rice production is likely to increase by 10 per cent this year, thanks to timely monsoon rain and absence of any pests in the paddy.

Jhapa boasts of some 88,400 hectares of arable land with only 30 per cent enjoying irrigation facilities though. Paddy cultivation in the remaining 70 per cent is left at the mercy of rain gods.

However, increase in the production with the help of rain water is very encouraging, say agro experts.

Jethi mansuli, Kanchi mansuli, Radha-12, RP 1017, Lokantra, Sunaula Sugandha, Nuniya, Basmati were the major species of paddy grown in Jhapa this year.

Special programs to improve production aptitude of paddy had been launched this year in the major paddy cultivation pocket areas in Arjundhara, Jyamirgadhi, Maharanijhoda, Baigundhura, Ghailadubba, Mahabhara, Bahundangi and Gaurigunj VDCs of the district, according to Technical Assistant at the Office, Govinda Acharya.

Source: RSS